Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Big Apple: Day 4

This day started out rather disappointing.  Kaleen was in class most of the day, and I was feeling a little sad about some stuff at home in Arizona, so I planned to spend some time in the Temple.   I packed up a pair of paints to change into, and hopped on the subway up to 65th St. and Columbia Ave.  The subway didn't stop at my exit because of the construction so I had to double back, and although it took me a little longer, I remained hopeful.  Once I saw the temple my heart leapt and I started walking faster--I was just so happy to be there.  I stepped in and looked in my wallet and couldn't find my recommend. I started feeling anxious. How could I forget my recommend?  Finally, I found it, but upon close inspection I noticed that it had expired.  Wow.  I just stood there in shock for a moment.  I looked at the man at the recommend desk and he could see the distress in my eyes.  My shoulders slumped in defeat and I escaped to the bathroom before I could shed any tears to embarrass myself.

Once composed, I realized I didn't have much of a plan for the day except for that.  So, I meandered a few blocks down to Central Park only to be disappointed again.  The park was over-run with preparations for the NYC marathon on Sunday.  Really?  I was so looking forward to just sitting on a park bench and drawing, but there wasn't a park bench in sight that wasn't surrounded by runners and people.

From there I wandered aimlessly.

And took pictures of myself.








I learned that this side of town is apparently very fashionable for designer boutiques.  Who knew?  I stopped in at some very overpriced and famous designers such as Betsey Johnson. And, to be honest.  I wasn't that impressed.  $98 for leggings?  Come on people.

Anyway, eventually I found myself at the temple again.  I plopped down in on the park bench in the middle of the intersection and just sat staring at it for awhile.  (FYI: This intersection is called "Lincoln Square"--also famous for where the NY Opera and Julliard are located.  Pretty sweet spot.) After awhile, I pulled out my drawing pencils and drew the temple while listening to my iPod.  I was completely absorbed, and fully neglectful of everyone else around me, for so long that I had not idea what time it was when I finished.  Two hours had just zipped by!  And, as an extra bonus, someone asked me for directions.  I guess if you plug into your iPod long enough you look local.

Spent dinner with Shiloh's uncle Jimmy and his wife Claudette.  Loved them!  We ate Sushi and swapped stories.  Good times.

Kaleen and I topped off our day with the Empire State Building and Times square.  I recommend them both as a must-see thing to do if ever in the city.  The view from the Empire State Building is breath-taking, and Times Square unbelievable bright and shiny--even at night it felt like noon day!






No comments: