Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Okay, I know this is completely "Bah humbug" of me, but I don't teach my kids about Santa. Really. I have never given them a gift "From Santa" and I don't intend to pretend each Christmas that Santa comes down our non-existent chimney to give them gifts. To me, Santa is a wonderful example of a jolly fellow who loved to give and this is what I plan to teach my children: That Santa was a giving person and so we should admire his example and give to others as well. I suppose there is a part of me that resents Santa a little for taking the spotlight away from the Savior. Perhaps this is why I refuse to enable the Santa Propaganda. Sigh. Okay, I am not as angry as I just sounded. In fact, my attitude is really more apathy than anything else. I have no problem with other people who choose to teach about Santa and I'm not going to ruin it for any of the other kids who believe in him.

That said, somehow my 4-yr old daughter believes in Santa. She told me that he was going to come to Grandma's house (since that is where we are going for Christmas) and he would have a great big bag and leave presents for her. I just sort of looked at her after she told me that, not knowing what to say. Do I ruin it for her because of my own "issues"? Or allow her to believe? For the time being, I just sort of said, "Oh yeah?" So this is something I am going to have to ponder further. Until I make a good plan, I think I'll let her go on believing. Still, I don't plan on getting her presents from Santa (I'll let Grandma take care of that). :)

No comments: