Okay, so I've been home from NYC 4 days, and I just cannot stop thinking about it. So I figure, if I write my guts about it, then perhaps the longing will go away? Either that or it'll make it worse. But in either case, I'll have it all documented. I think I'll take it a day at a time. So here goes:
My journey in New York, began with a 5 hour plane ride. I sat next to a couple of very pleasant fellows, and we entertained each other the entire trip with good conversation and iPod games. I must say, though, I will NEVER fly US Airways across the country again. There was no movie, no TV, not even a monitor to show our progress! It was astounding. And, to top it off, US Airways only serves drinks. If you want a snack (who wouldn't on a 5 hour flight??), you must pay ridiculous prices (like $3 for a bag of M&Ms). Very lame.
Anyway, after a long delay at the gate in which everyone started feeling cabin fever, my friend Kaleen and I exited the plane and found our way out of the airport to the crisp New York air. No sooner did we step out the door, and we were approached by a limo driver insisting he take us to wherever we were going. His fare seemed reasonable, and since he had already taken our bags and was lifting them into the trunk, we assented. New York is not a place where you hesitate. Ever. You either say yes or no, and fast, or someone else decides for you. No joke. So, we took one of these bad boys to our hotel:
Obviously, we were delighted:
Our hotel was amazing. We stayed at the Vincci Avalon on 32nd St. and 5th Ave. It's only 2 blocks from the Empire State Bldg. and in the center of everything! The room was clean and comfortable, and I couldn't have been happier. Isn't it beautiful?
But, of course, we didn't linger there long. We were out within minutes walking the streets to find dinner before our show. It was late, and we were new, so we didn't brave the subway yet. Walking was definitely an experience. Remember how I said you don't hesitate in NY? Well, we saw about 3 or 4 people nearly hit by taxi's on our walk. I couldn't believe the audacity of some people.
Beyond learning how to walk in the city, we learned to tolerate smells. We must have arrived on trash day because we passed dozens upon dozens of black trash bags just lined up on the street. Are there no dumpsters in this city? It was revolting. As if I needed another SMELL attacking my nose. (Did I mention the city is just wafting with odors? Don't get me wrong, some of them are quite nice--like all the yummy cafes, bakeries and bread shops--others not so much, such as exhaust, oil, trash, fried whatever, and sewage.)
Mary Poppins. Now, I actually don't even like the movie Mary Poppins. I try watching it, and each time I lose interest because it has to be the longest children's movie ever. I've seen the beginning of the movie probably 10 times, and the end even less--but never all the way through. The play was completely different. The characters (such as the mother) are much more likable and the story more cohesive. I loved the ending (it has a better twist than the movie), and of course the set, music, and dancing were amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Home to hotel. Collapse on bed.





1 comment:
Wow, I didn't know you were even planning a trip to NY! So cool. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. You sure do love to travel and I'm happy that you get the opportunities to do so!
Post a Comment