Sunday, August 5, 2012
How Grand is the Grand Canyon? Pretty Grand.
We recently took a trip to northern Arizona. We watched some fireworks, played with friends, rode horses (more on that later), and took a gander at the Grand Canyon. Of my little family of 5, I was the only one who had been to the Grand Canyon before, so you can imagine the size of everyone's eyes as they witnessed the largest canyon they have ever seen. My children were bursting with excitement! (An excitement that I did my best to contain because, well, have you seen the cliffs??)
I am so glad Ashlyn is out of the tiny toddler stage because otherwise she would have been strapped to daddy's back. We set some pretty strict ground rules before we ventured out of the car--as in, "keep your feet on the ground, in the path, and within reach of an adult". That kind of stuff. In the end, though, we probably didn't need to even go over the rules so strenuously because the kids were scared out of their wits of the edge.
Of course, we couldn't help but take them a teensy bit off-road... Can you see the fear in Ashlyn's face? She was a little nervous of the impending doom that lay just 4 feet behind her. Yah. We are awesome parents. She will NEVER forget this trip.
Honestly, I had forgotten how GRAND the Grand Canyon really is. It's incredibly humbling, and I couldn't help but talk to my kids about how God created it... They were quite in awe of the whole thing, and I am looking forward to the day that we hike down into it as a family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I remember our trip to the canyon! Fun times. I'm going to hike it for the first time in a few months. It's pretty sad that I lived in Flagstaff for so long and still have never hiked it! Your kids are going up! So cute.
I am so jealous! Good luck on your hike!
Post a Comment