I believe this summer was the shortest summer of my life.
Eight weeks... that's it?? I am still feeling a little dazed by the fact that my children are in school already!
Eliza sat up last night in bed feeling all sorts of anxiety about homework and reading and math. I tried to calm her fears, but couldn't help but empathize with her--school has never been her strong suit. For that reason, we held her back and she's going to 1st grade again this year. She was one of the youngest in her class last year, and she really struggled to stay on top of her work. So, in an effort to give her a better foundation, we decided that repeating 1st grade would be best.
Much to my surprise, Eliza whole-heartily agreed. In fact, she was excited to be one of the oldest in her class and have a jump-start on what she could expect to learn.
Ezra starts Kindergarten this year. He has been looking forward to this day for weeks. He got up and wanted his hair combed just right. He was first to the car and first to the sidewalk.
When it came time to enter the Kindergarten play area to await "Kindergarten Line-Up" I noticed Ezra's initial zeal deflate into a subdued uneasiness. I introduced him to his teacher and he clung to my leg. When asked if he felt a little nervous, he looked at me and said, "No Mom, I'm not nervous. I'm just scared."
Smile. Of course you are.
Thankfully, he soon found his best friend, Jens, and his fears soon subsided.
By the time they called for all the Kinders to line-up, he was his usual confident self. I'm going to miss having this kid around all day...
No comments:
Post a Comment