Okay, so I belong to a food co-op and I bought a huge box of tomatoes on Saturday at a screamin' deal. I figured I better do something with them quick so I decided to make salsa and can it. Some of you may be smiling right now becuase I am not what you might call savvy when it comes to food preparation or preservation. I haven't canned anything since I was probably 9 years old so that's all the experience I had to go on... I am, however, fairly good at finding things online and figuring things out if I want to, so I found a super-informative website, borrowed the supplies I needed and embarked on an adventure that will stay with me for at least the next week. :) Yes, although I managed to follow directions and make a good 16 pints of salsa successfully, I also managed to slice my finger, and splash boiling water on my neck and chest as pictured below. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from the last time I was burned with extremely hot water (see previous post about McDonalds), so this was like out of some nightmare! I was trying to pick up a can and it fell back into the water bath at just the right angle to splash a bunch of the water at me. I screamed as it seered my skin on contact. Then it continued to burn for the next 12 hours or so. Tylenol was no aid. All I could do was ice it. Sigh. If there is a next time, I plan to get some back-up and let them do the hot water portion. :) Oh, and not to mention it took me 8 HOURS to can 16 pints. What a project!!!!
3 comments:
Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear that you got burned again. That looks painful too. I hope you are feeling better and get to enjoy your salsa now. I've never tried canning so you are better at it than I am!
You poor thing. I've never seen a burn that bad from hot water before! I feel so bad for you. I hope it's better and your salsa looks yummy!
That was so sad when you burnt your neck. I wished I could have helped more. At least you have your first canning experience out of the way.
Post a Comment