
On Thursday I went to McDonalds to get some lunch for my kids. Ezra still needs warm milk so I got a hot water as well to warm up the milk I bought from them too. Well, as luck would have it, as I put the milk in the water cup a little of the scalding hot water spilled onto my hand. What did I do? I flinched and dropped the entire cup of scalding hot water on my hand and legs. Keep in mind I was still in the car. Fortunately I was stopped in the parking lot in "park" because my foot immediately went to the gas pedal and made the engine rev as I was screaming and pulling my pants away from my legs. I couldn't help but keep from crying because the burning and stinging hurt so bad. As I tried to settle myself I could hear Eliza in the back say, "Why you screaming, mama?"
Thankfully, I had ordered and ice water as well and so I started dousing my hand and legs with it on the way home. When all was said and done and I was able to get home to assess the damage: I had what looked like a second degree burn on my left leg and a painful first degree burn on my left hand. What was ironic about it all was that after about an hour of cool water over my leg it stopped hurting altogether and was just fine, but my hand burned and stung like crazy for the next 14 hours until 4 am the next morning. In fact, I couldn't stand being without the cooling affect of water on it for more than 1-2 minutes or so before the effect wore off and it started burning again. I have never experienced this type of burn before but it was awful. As I laid there that night on the couch with my hand in a tub of water wishing I could sleep, I just began to really be grateful to Heavenly Father for the rest of my life without this type of pain. And as 4 am rolled around and I started to get drowsy and realized the pain was nearly subsided, I thanked God for His mercy in taking that pain away. This was His hand in my life because I am sure things could have been much worse. And to add to His grace, I had a lot of friends and family come to my aid during it all (Shiloh called our neighbor to come check on me as well as his mother and Aunt Kassie--who later brought me aloe vera gel).
Now that it has been a couple of days my hand feels more like a bad sunburn and my legs are doing just great. Sigh.
Thankfully, I had ordered and ice water as well and so I started dousing my hand and legs with it on the way home. When all was said and done and I was able to get home to assess the damage: I had what looked like a second degree burn on my left leg and a painful first degree burn on my left hand. What was ironic about it all was that after about an hour of cool water over my leg it stopped hurting altogether and was just fine, but my hand burned and stung like crazy for the next 14 hours until 4 am the next morning. In fact, I couldn't stand being without the cooling affect of water on it for more than 1-2 minutes or so before the effect wore off and it started burning again. I have never experienced this type of burn before but it was awful. As I laid there that night on the couch with my hand in a tub of water wishing I could sleep, I just began to really be grateful to Heavenly Father for the rest of my life without this type of pain. And as 4 am rolled around and I started to get drowsy and realized the pain was nearly subsided, I thanked God for His mercy in taking that pain away. This was His hand in my life because I am sure things could have been much worse. And to add to His grace, I had a lot of friends and family come to my aid during it all (Shiloh called our neighbor to come check on me as well as his mother and Aunt Kassie--who later brought me aloe vera gel).
Now that it has been a couple of days my hand feels more like a bad sunburn and my legs are doing just great. Sigh.
5 comments:
Totally know what pain you experienced because I got second degree burns on two of my fingers the other week. I was trying to deep fry a burrito for lunch and didn't realize just how hot the oil had gotten and when I put the burrito in the pan it splashed up on my fingers and man did it hurt! I too ran cold water on my hand, but as soon as I stopped the heat and the immense pain came right back. I stuck my hand in the freezer and covered it in ice, but once again when I stopped the pain was back. I did this about 3 or 4 times, crying the entire time, until I realized that I had to just let it get over the pain and burn itself out. I also called my mother-in-law and she told me to go but this stuff called Solarcaine.
It's amazing stuff!! It contains Lidocaine which is a pain reliever (it's actually in the same diaper rash medicine I have for Caleb called Triple Paste which works miracles). It's a spray so it's easy to apply and it did the trick, even 4 hours after I burnt myself. I ended up with blisters on my fingers and thankfully I'm not scarred and I'm fine now. But boy do I hate being burned. I think it's the most painful thing I've ever experienced. So I completly understand your pain and I'm so glad that it wasn't worse and that you were able to get some help. But seriously, I'd go buy some solarcaine to have in your cabinet because it worked wonders and took the pain away immediately. Hope you're feeling better!!
That is awful! I can't believe the water was that scalding. Can you imagine if you took a drink out of it?
I like the picture...did you take it? You must have a nice camera to get that effect.
Yikes! That's pretty scary. I've hear about some lawsuits against McDonalds after people have spilled their hot coffee on themselves while driving. Now you know what that is like. I'm glad you are doing okay now and that it wasn't more serious!
Man that sounds awful! I am so sorry. Thanks for the heads up though...now I know not to buy "hot water" from McDonalds! I am glad that you are doing better! Take care.
Kirst, How are you feeling? This is so sad! I am glad the pain went away so fast.
Em
Post a Comment